|Sleep Study Instructions
You will spend the scheduled number of nights/ days in a private bedroom with bath located in the Sleep Disorders Center at Russell Medical Center. Upon arrival at Russell Medical Center’s main entrance, please inform personnel at the Information Desk that you are to have a sleep study performed. Our staff will escort you to the sleep center where we will fully explain your procedure to you.
The Sleep Disorders Center does not have accommodations to allow family members and/or friends to stay in the room with you. The exceptions are for a patient who is a minor child, or when a pre-approved medical condition mandates constant care. Hotels are in close proximity to Russell Medical Center for guests traveling with out-of-town patients.
Pre-registration must be completed prior to the day of your study and is required for EACH study you have performed at the center.
- You may pre-register at the RMC Pre-Admission/ Pre-Registration & Satellite Laboratory department located in suite 103 of the Medical Park Professional Building, Monday through Friday, 7:30am until 5:00pm.
- You may also pre-register over the phone by calling (256) 329-7361 between 8:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday. Inform the registrar you are calling to pre-register for your sleep study. The registrar must have a copy of the orders and other paperwork your sleep physician will provide to you.
Meals will not be provided for patients having an overnight or daytime sleep study. Be sure to eat your evening meal prior to your sleep study. Only patients scheduled for an MSLT study will have breakfast and lunch provided.
If you are a diabetic, or require a snack before bedtime, you may wish to bring a snack with you.
If You Are Taking Any Medications, Bring Them With You. Keep a careful record of any medications you take during the day before sleeping in the center. Once you arrive for your study, please notify the technician prior to taking any medications.
Please make sure your hair and face are free of any oils, creams, or lotions. Men need to be clean-shaven and women need to remove make-up and fingernail polish. Neatly trimmed mustaches and beards normally do not present a problem.
Pack all items you normally would when staying away from home. Hair dryers are available upon request. Please feel free to bring your favorite pillow for added comfort. Wireless internet access is available in the sleep center.
Underwear, gym shorts, and/or 2-piece pajamas should be worn during your study. Clothing that is 2-piece with buttons in the front is preferred but not required.
You should refrain from consuming caffeine at least 4 hours prior to your study. This includes coffee, tea, soft drinks with caffeine, chocolate, etc…
Avoid daytime or evening naps the day of your study. Do maintain your usual exercise habits.
We designate 10:30 p.m. as “lights out”.
Patients being “dropped off” for their overnight study should be picked up at the RMC Main Lobby around 6:00a.m.
- Request for a male technician or female technician to perform your study must be noted at the time the study is scheduled.
- Failure to provide the required paperwork may result in your study being cancelled.
- Russell Medical Center and The Sleep Disorders Center are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- It is extremely important for you to keep your scheduled appointment. Please contact the Sleep Disorders Center at least 24 hours in advance if you must cancel.
- No smoking is allowed during your testing.